I’ve missed doing this list by a couple of weeks due to being far too busy to do much writing. So here is my latest installment of things for which I’m grateful.
- Faeries–or fairies, depending on your preference. Sure, they’re not real, but maybe they are, like ghosts and alien abductions. But I’m grateful for fairy art and tales of fairies and the wee folk. They’re winged, they’re small, they’re mysterious and of the other realms. Once upon a time they may have been larger and powerful but as people’s belief in them lessened so did their power over the imagination. I like the worlds they conjure, and places where flowers have tiny magical defenders.
- Turkey–Yeah okay, I’ve never actually seen a live one but I appreciate the taste of turkey and its low fat wonderfulness. I’m usually a white meat person when it comes to chicken but with turkey there is something just yummy about a drumstick. So thank you, all you turkeys who have been sacrificed for my plate. Now I’m not talking about two-legged turkeys here.
- Free Lunch–Yes, there is such a thing as a free lunch though it’s rare. But it’s a nice gesture when it happens, from a buddy or a worker boss. In some cases it might be a small gesture and not that expensive, but in terms of workplace, it will show you’re appreciated and that’s important. The little things can count. And today, I get a free lunch. 😀
- Men–I’ve never been one of those people who paint all of a group with one brush, by race, gender, religion, education or any other rules. However by saying I appreciate men, I’m doing just that, and I do make jokes about some of these weird idiosyncrasies that many (not all) men exhibit. You know the ones: not asking for directions, unable to figure out where something goes, haphazard cleaning that would have hazmat teams shivering. That sort of thing. I mean, I do speak from some experience. But overall, without men, the world might be calmer and tamer and less dangerous, but it would also be less interesting and smaller. Yeah we kinda need them for procreation until we get that cloning thing down, but sex isn’t as much fun without them, for those of us who are heterosexuals or homosexuals. I’m sure the lesbians don’t miss this aspect. Men are different from women and add mix and perspective and I like all of my male friends and appreciate having them in my life.
- Sleep–This might be a repeat but I’m allowed. After all, this is my list of five things I appreciate each week, or longer than that, when I hit the busy periods. So sleep, I love and cherish, not only for its renewing abilities on the body but for all the realms it takes my mind to. I love to travel on the ship of sleep, that between stage of waking/sleep where images flit and yet words don’t match this world. I’ve done and said some bizarre things in that realm. I don’t get enough of sleep and studies support that not enough sleep can affect our health in many ways and so I say good night.